Once upon a time not so long ago whilst on leave my largest lync deployment ‘acted’ up and practically fell over for no apparent reason whatsoever.
As luck has it I was no where near an internet connection and the current preview build of Windows 10 at the time did not support Cisco VPN so I was stuck until I returned from my trip.
By the time I returned home almost 12 hours later the friendly staff from premier was ready to begin troubleshooting my issue, which at the time I did not even have a full view of what was wrong exactly, I just knew it was broken and that no one in my team was able to even find anything on the internet or TechNet which could point them in any direction.
In short, my two pools were no longer communicating with one another, meaning users were fine inside the same pool but could not see anyone from the other pool.
About 14 hours and 4 Lync Premier support engineers later this was resolved by adding to my existing list of 2 Server 2012R2 SSL related registry settings another 2 settings and from there it all worked perfectly as if nothing was ever wrong.
Again this week I found myself upgrading another Lync 2013 environment to Skype for Business and everything worked perfectly, but for some reason I started struggeling to move users to my other pool as I went through the motions of the upgrade and moving things around so my users could continue working whilst I did the upgrades.
After what felt like hours of analyzing traces and testing replication and settings, digging into the SQL backends, looking into the mirroring on my sql databases, analyzing the local sql express instances etc I finally thought to just check the state of these keys in these servers only to find they were not there at all. Now keeping in mind these servers have been running for almost two years now with no issues whatsoever I can see how these would have been missed, the symptoms was just not there.
So imported the keys, rebooted and problem solved.
Today, whilst upgrading my final edge pool again ‘issues’ one of the two edge servers upgraded perfectly whilst the other one found every possible excuse to not be upgraded, down to the point where even powershell stopped working giving me either a blank screen or allowing me to enter a single command and then hanging on me indefinitely.
Again I checked the keys since I had imported them just recently, and as luck would have it I only imported these keys into my Frontend pool servers.
Again I imported keys and rebooted and just like magic, again everything started working.
Now since I personally have never seen all these keys in 1 place I thought I must share them, they apply to Lync 2013 as well as Skype for Business 2015 servers running on Server 2012R2 , any lync/skype server rolls, not the SQL backend, any server with certificates that forms part of the lync environment benefits from this, there may be other uses also I don’t know.
*Update – We found these keys to be needed for CMS replication related issues on Server 2016 Edge Servers*
Here are they keys:
( Make a .reg and merge )
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00